Sunday 26 April 2009

Phone peril

Whenever I prepare to take a bath, especially a long one during this scorching heat, why does the phone ring? Many a time I thought not to take the call, as it would have been much a problem to me, like anyone else. Whenever I think not to receive it, it has to be that of either the boss, or my friends. And the worst part is that when with a towel in hand, another around my waist, I come out of the bathroom to receive a call the other day, someone ordered me over the phone to send a dozen of slippers to his shop! Patiently I told him that I don’t deal in slippers, or for that matter any kind of shoes — though they are pretty popular these days for throwing at political leaders — he was not ready to agree!

The usual "wrong number" call that we get at our house is quite interesting. "Customer id C1234. How is the supply? Will I get it by next week?" We are bombarded with questions before I could say anything. "The last time, it was bad, as I didn’t expect that your company serviceman would ask for Rs 10 bribe just to deliver it a day in advance. Why don’t you stop sending him? Sack him." Without losing my temper, I tell the lady on the other side of the cradle: "Sorry auntie, it’s not the LPG booking centre."

One such funny incident happened with one of my colleagues, whose cellphone number is almost identical to that of a national low-cost airline. Tired of telling people throughout the day that he does not take any booking for Calcutta-Mumbai sector for Re 1, one night he could not help but informing a gentleman that his early morning flight was late by five hours!

With technology, the telephone has become a problem tool to many of us. We hardly care about one’s privacy, as we don’t think twice to call a person at 6am, thinking everybody loves to see the spectacular sunrise in a polluted city like Calcutta every morning. But I know many a people who don’t use a phone, forget its mobile version, in this small world of today. But I still wonder how do they communicate with people when necessary? Can we live without our cellphones even a single day? Can you?


©Supratim Pal, 2009

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can live without my cell phone. In fact I want to do that from time to time.
can't think of any funny wrong number calls I had to receive. But do remember calling up my former number by mistake one day and being told how many calls came in for me at that number.

Supratim Pal said...

almost a similar incident happened to me, rather my university teacher. she joined our department at a time when no sim card was available in the market. this, i am talking about in mid-2003, when only one player would dominate the bolpur-santiniketan market. it was reliance. fortunately i had a bsnl number too, which i gave it to her. after a week or so in the classroom, she showed me some SMS texts, rather jokes, which she could not reply!! forget the numerous calls she recieved asking for me!

Powered By Blogger